Position Title: Social Worker – Safety Zone for Unaccompanied asylum-seeking children in RRC Sofia – Ovcha Koupel
Duty Station: Sofia, Bulgaria
Type of Appointment: Hourly contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 7th of October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: As part of the projects “Strengthening the national capacity of the Republic of Bulgaria in the fields of asylum and migration” and “Protection of vulnerable migrants and assisted voluntary return and reintegration support”, and under the direct supervision of the Safety Zone Coordinator and overall supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Head of Mission and Protection & Project Development Officer, the successful candidate will provide support/case management to unaccompanied asylum-seeking children accommodated in the Safety Zone located within the Registration and Reception Centre (RRC) Sofia – Ovcha Koupel, managed by the State Agency for Refugees (SAR).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Work within a multidisciplinary team as a social worker that includes other IOM staff (psychologists, legal counsellors, interpreters, cultural mediators, assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR) referral counsellors, etc.);
- Ensure the case management for an assigned number of unaccompanied asylum-seeking children (UASC) accommodated in the Safety Zone and closely follow up on their daily routines in line with IOM standards;
- In coordination with other IOM colleagues, providing specialized services in the Safety Zone, identify specific vulnerabilities among UASC accommodated there and ensure appropriate support and/or referral to relevant services;
- Prepare case reports, follow-up with administrative tasks and project reporting and coordinate the work with colleagues from other IOM programmes;
- Keep all case management files updated and secured, in accordance with IOM Data Protection Principles and protocols in place;
- Coordinate the support/case management provided to the UASC with social experts from the State Agency for Refugees (SAR) working in the registration and reception centre, as well as other relevant institutions;
- Assist UASC with all the necessary information to access relevant specialized care and/or administrative services provided by other organizations/institutions;
- Participate in multidisciplinary meetings with SAR social experts and representatives from other organizations/institutions, as needed;
- Strictly adhere to IOM’s Standards of Conduct and Policy for Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree – bachelor’s or higher in Social Work or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two (2) years of relevant professional experience; or
- High school graduate with three (4) years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience in social work and/or case management with children/adolescents.
- Awareness of migrant and refugee issues, including the context in Bulgaria.
- Previous experience in working with unaccompanied asylum-seeking children is an advantage.
- Experience working in international and/or non-governmental organizations, or government institutions in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and difficult conditions.
- Demonstrated drafting, planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, and comfort with learning new software.
- Fluency in Bulgarian and English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic and / or Kurdish is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to available funding and IOM starting to operate/manage the Safety Zone in the Registration and Reception Centre (RRC) Sofia – Ovcha Koupel. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the vacancy notice by the 7 th of October 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Posting period: From 27 th of September to 7th of October 2019