Vacancy notice – Administrative Assistant
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Duty Station: IOM Sofia, Bulgaria
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 5
Type of Appointment: 1 year fixed-term contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 5th of March, 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and the direct supervision of the Senior Admin, Finance and HR Assistant in IOM Bulgaria, the successful candidate will be accountable for the financial and administrative implementation of IOM Sofia programmes. The successful candidate also will be accountable and responsible for the implementation and reporting of the activities of IOM Information centers, as well as will facilitate the communication and the networking with the public authorities, NGO’s, migrant communities and other relevant stakeholders.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the activities of IOM Information centres including the organization of Bulgarian language classes, integration events and consultations of beneficiaries.
- Manage the logistics of social and cultural events organized by the Information centers.
- Facilitate the cooperation and organization of working meetings with migrant and refugee communities, local authorities and public institutions, related to the measures aimed to support the integration of third country nationals.
- Participate in the preparation of the final narrative report on the activities of the centres.
- Prepare quarterly/yearly donor financial reports and other financial documents.
- Create and maintain appropriate financial filing system and ensuring the documentation is regularly updated.
- Monitor the financial and administrative documentation and assuring its completeness in compliance with IOM and donors’ accounting procedures and administrative instructions.
- Verify payments to vendors, contractors, consultants by ensuring services and/or shipments are rendered and/or delivered, mathematical computations are correct and supporting documents are complete.
- Record payable entries in PRISM Finance module and assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Identify areas for improvement and highlight them to the supervisor; provide inputs for new procedures to complement or to adapt existing ones taking into consideration the specific needs of the office. Assist in analyzing and resolving sensitive cases by collating background information, preparing summaries and sharing best practices.
- Provide guidance and training to new/junior staff.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- Bachellor’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Migration Studies, or related field from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of relevant professional experience;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of Migration issues would be a distinct advantage;
- Working with SAP will be a distinct advantage
- Previous work experience with EU donors would be a distinct advantage
Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage
Fluency in English and Bulgarian is required.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Actively shares relevant information
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credits where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
1. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to email@example.com email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 5th of March, 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 21.02.2020 to 05.03.2020