Vacancy notice – National Project Officer (Protection&Project Development)
Position Title: National Project Officer (Protection&Project development)
Duty Station: IOM Sofia, Bulgaria
Type of Appointment: 1 year fixed-term contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 18 July 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office in Bulgaria the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for project development, strategic support and coordination of IOM programs, implemented at national level and in close coordination with respective donor organizations. He/she will assist the head of office to design projects and oversee/coordinate the variety of projects within the domains of migrant protection & well-being and health portfolio of the mission.
This includes but is not limited to developing, coordinating and managing the migrants’ protection and well-being sub-actions of projects, funded by the European Commission, Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs and the Government of Bulgaria and the AMIF National Programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the Head of Office the incumbent will be in charge of the financial, administrative and technical oversight of project implementation within the domains of migrant protection & well-being and health, in a timely manner and in line with IOM policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
- Contribute to maintaining partnerships and liaison with the state authorities, CSOs, IOs, the EC and other relevant stakeholders in the field.
- Organize and hold, in coordination with the Head of Office meetings, trainings and workshops relevant to the domains of migrant protection & well-being and health, with all concerned actors.
- Coordinate the daily work and provide regular guidance and support to IOM Sofia staff working within the migrant protection & well-being and health projects including the three IOM mobile protection teams.
- Act as a Gender Focal Point for the mission and ensure gender and social, PSEA inclusion and streamlining across the projects of IOM Sofia.
- Draft quality donor reports and ensure timely submission.
- Support the recruitment of experts within the IOM Sofia projects as well as supervise the work contracted to complete specific tasks as per project description and objectives.
- Represent IOM Sofia at seminars and meetings as required, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM's image and activities in Bulgaria.
- Assist the Head of Office on identifying areas/ideas for future development, develop project proposals and in collaboration with other relevant units, ensure compliance with donor requirements and IOM rules and procedures as well as their timely submission.
- Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the Head of Office.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law and/or International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of EU policies, financial instruments, institutions and decision-making mechanisms;
- Demonstrated experience in project development and implementation in an international environment;
Fluency in English and Bulgarian is required.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance project objectives
- Develops effective partnerships with prospective donors
1. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 18 July 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 04.07.2018 to 18.07.2018