Vacancy notice – Senior Finance Assistant
Position Title: Senior Finance Assistant
Duty Station: IOM Sofia, Bulgaria
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 6
Type of Appointment: 1 year fixed-term contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 June 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: Under the overall and direct supervision of the Head of Office in IOM Bulgaria, the successful candidate will be accountable for the HR, financial and administrative implementation of IOM Sofia programmes.
This includes but is not limited to the financial, HR and administrative services for the successful mastering of all relevant rules, guidelines, processes and procedures in the implementation of AMIF projects, funded by the European Commission, Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs and the National AMIF programme .
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide procedural and technical support and respond to financial and administrative queries from donors;
- Prepare and submit quarterly/yearly donor financial reports and other financial documents;
- Check and verify invoices, requests for payments, purchase requests and other requests that will result to financial obligations;
- Monitor budget usage including expenditures and commitments versus approved budget allocations for IOM Sofia projects and programs. Alert supervisor about shortfalls and over-expenditures.
- Review and verify that IOM and donor’s financial and administrative rules are correctly applied during project execution, reporting any possible incompliance.
- Maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments and other data for day-to-day transactions, conduct preliminary analysis of the information and highlight areas of concern for the attention of the RMO/SRMO.
- Monitor the financial and administrative documentation and assuring its completeness in compliance with IOM and donors’ accounting procedures and administrative instructions.
- Verify payments to vendors, contractors, consultants by ensuring services and/or shipments are rendered and/or delivered, mathematical computations are correct and supporting documents are complete.
- Record payable entries in PRISM Finance module and assist in preparation of monthly financial statements;
- Support the recruitment of experts within IOM Bulgaria projects.
- Interpret financial policies, rules and regulations and provide recommendations.
- Provide guidance and training to junior staff in HR, financial and administrative matters.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration or related field from an accredited academic institution with at least 4 years’ professional experience, preferably in financial support or similar roles in the field
- Previous work experience with EU / other donors would be a distinct advantage
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systems and software.
- Knowledge of SAP would be a distinct advantage
Fluency in English and Bulgarian is required.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Actively shares relevant information
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credits where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline
- Develops / follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement
- Ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines
- Adapts best Human Resources practices to the requirements of IOM to facilitate the achievement of strategic objectives
- Delivers Human Resources solutions customized to the needs of IOM
1. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to email@example.com email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 22 June 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 08.06.2018 to 22.06.2018