Vacancy notice – Senior Project Assistant (Protection)
Position Title: Senior Project Assistant (Protection)
Duty Station: IOM Sofia, Bulgaria
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 6
Type of Appointment: 1 year fixed-term contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: February 15th, 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: Under the direct supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s National Project Officer and overall supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Head of Mission, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing support in the development, planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring of and reporting on project activities at national level in the fields of migrants’ protection and well-being, health and public information.
This includes but is not limited to the migrants’ protection and well-being sub-actions of AMIF projects, funded by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs and the Government of Bulgaria (GoB), as well as projects funded by the GoB under the national AMIF programme 2014-2020.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the National Project Officer, the incumbent will provide regular technical support to IOM Bulgaria staff and implement activities in the field of migrant protection and well-being, as well as support in the implementation of other relevant activities, including migration health.
- Organize and implement trainings for representatives of national institutions and NGOs in Bulgaria on various topics, including protection and human rights, gender-based violence, working with children, working with vulnerable groups, intercultural competence, psychosocial support, site management support, and others.
- In close coordination with the Head of Office, the incumbent will organize and implement IOM Bulgaria public information campaigns on migrant integration, including the production of audio-visual and printed information materials, and the organization of seminars, round tables and conferences with the aim of increasing the awareness of Bulgarian society and facilitating the integration of asylum seekers and beneficiaries of international protection.
- Prepare, organize and publish information on IOM Bulgaria’s activities on social media outlets, as well as on IOM Bulgaria’s website.
- In collaboration with the PSEA focal point, participate in the organization and implementation of trainings on IOM’s PSEA policy for new IOM Bulgaria staff and refresher trainings for other staff members, as well as support integration of PSEA principles in project development and implementation.
- Prepare quality donor reports and ensure timely submission.
- Oversee the recruitment of experts within IOM Bulgaria projects.
- Represent IOM Bulgaria at trainings, seminars and meetings, and liaise with partner organizations, as required.
- Participate in the development of new project proposals and in coordination with other IOM Bulgaria programmes, ensure compliance with donor requirements and IOM rules and procedures as well as their timely submission.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree or equivalent, or higher, in Political or Social Science, International Relations or another related field.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience on projects working with migrants and/or refugees, with experience in project development and implementation considered an advantage.
- Previous work experience in an international environment, with intergovernmental organizations or NGOs considered an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of EU policies, financial instruments, institutions and decision-making mechanisms.
- Fluency in English and Bulgarian is required. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context
1. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 15th February 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 31.01.2018 to 15.02.2018