- Our Work
Since 1999, the IOM mission in Bulgaria has been developing programs for anti-trafficking, which include prevention, victim protection and capacity-building of institutions. To date, IOM has helped over 2000 Bulgarian victims of human trafficking. In 2017 alone, more than 75 Bulgarians have received support from IOM Bulgaria, including help for return to Bulgaria and reintegration. Information campaigns for migrant and refugees were also carried out, concerning the risks and protection measures associated with smuggling and trafficking in human beings.
IOM’s counter-trafficking team provides professional assistance to victims of trafficking in persons using a comprehensive approach that respects the human rights and well-being of the victim. We also work in partnership with governmental agencies and other non-governmental organisations to strengthen the national capacity in counter-trafficking through institutional capacity development and partnerships.
The target groups of our work in against traffic in human beings includes:
- Bulgarian citizens, who have been identified as victims of trafficking in human beings outside the borders of Republic of Bulgaria. Bulgarian citizens identified as victims within the country could also be supported.
- Foreign citizens, who have been identified as victims of trafficking in human beings in the territory of Republic of Bulgaria.
Services provided include, but are not limited to:
- Return assistance to the country of origin of the identified victims of human trafficking.
- Reintegration assistance for the victims of trafficking after their return to help them achieve sustainable reintegration.
- Counselling and information provision.
- Legal counselling.
- Psychological counselling.
- Need and risk assessment.
- Safe and secure transportation.
- Medical care.
- Humanitarian support package.
- Social assistance.
- Employment counselling.
- Vocational training and school insertion.
- Monitoring and follow-up of victims.
- Witness protection services: securing a safe environment and protection of witnesses on human trafficking cases.
- Other consultations and services according to the specific needs of the victims.
IOM operates a counter-trafficking hotline (+359 (2) 93 94 777), which provides with information, consultations and assistance to victims of traffic in human beings, as well as vulnerable persons and potential victims of traffic.
CONTACT OUR COUNTER-TRAFFICKING TEAM
You can contact our counter-trafficking team via telephone at +359 (2) 93-94-713 and via e-mail at email@example.com. The team is located at the IOM office at Tzar Asen № 77 str. Sofia 1463.