Special Vacancy Notice
Position title: Communication Assistant
Duty station: IOM Bulgaria, Sofia
Estimated start date: As soon as possible
Closing date: 15th of November 2021
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with other UN agencies, national NGOs and government institutions.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office (HoO), the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing IOM Bulgaria’s media and communication strategy, promoting its visibility, and raising the awareness of migrants and Bulgarian society on IOM’s mission and its activities.
- Establish and maintain relations with the media, by proactively seeking contacts with media partners and maintaining a media mailing list.
- Liaise with the media and social media focal points groups established by IOM’s Media Department at the Regional Office in Brussels, including taking part in joint activities and trainings.
- Support the planning, implementation, and monitoring of all communication related activities of IOM Bulgaria’s programs and projects, in coordination with the implementation teams.
- Participate in the organization of information and multicultural events as part of projects implemented by IOM Bulgaria and ensure contact with the media and other communication partners, as well as taking photos and making videos during the events.
- Assist with development and implementation of information campaigns for IOM programs, by drafting appropriate information and press materials, and social media content.
- Upload information and maintain IOM Bulgaria’s website and social media accounts and project websites (if these exist), including preparing new material and updating content on a daily and weekly basis, as required.
- Draft complementary, project specific content in accordance with IOM standards and donor requirements. This will include newsletters, press releases, briefing notes, talking points and communication products – in Bulgarian and English.
- Assist with the production and dissemination of IOM publications – such as Annual Reviews, Guidelines and Handbooks, including content and ensuring they are aligned with IOM standards.
- Design/establish and regularly maintain a shared activity calendar for internal reference and external information planning.
- Produce, sort, and maintain a photo and video gallery with content from IOM Bulgaria’s project activities.
- Draft scenarios, participate in shooting and editing of video content created for IOM Bulgaria.
- Attend UN Communications Group meetings and participate in joint activities.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Development Studies, International Relations, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed high school degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated high competency as a writer and editor
- Well-versed on Bulgaria’s offline and digital media landscape
- Concise writing for web
- Filming and editing
- Knowledge of migration trends and dynamics in Bulgaria is an asset
- Ability to visualize ideas and concepts clearly and concisely
- Good organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
Excellent written and oral communication skills in Bulgarian and English language are required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to availability of funding.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter, CV in European Format, and short portfolio) in English, to email@example.com, quoting the special vacancy notice by the 15th of November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From the 1st until the 15th of November 2021