Vacancy notice – Legal Assistant (Harmanli)
Position Title: Legal Assistant
Duty Station: Harmanli, Bulgaria
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 5
Type of Appointment: 1 year fixed-term contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 25 June, 2021- CLOSED
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Bulgaria, IOM is focusing on responding to the current migration situation in the country, in support of the Bulgarian Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved.
Context: Under the direct and overall supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Head of Mission, the successful candidate will provide support to migrants accommodated in Registration and Reception Centre (RRC) in Bulgaria and/or living at external addresses.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Work within a multidisciplinary team as a legal counsellor that includes other IOM staff (social worker, psychologist, interpreter, cultural mediator, AVRR referral counsellor, etc.);
- Provide general legal counselling on the relevant asylum legislation in Bulgaria to migrants, requesting IOM legal assistance in line with IOM standards, and provide appropriate support and/or referral to relevant services;
- In coordination with IOM colleagues, provide legal assistance on the procedures to be followed for issuing identity or travel documents, welfare rights, education, housing, access to health care services, etc.;
- Prepare weekly reports, follow-up with administrative tasks and coordinate the work with colleagues from other IOM programmes;
- Participate in multidisciplinary meetings with the State Agency for Refugees experts and representatives from other organizations/institutions on individual cases, as needed;
- Prepare information sessions on legal topics as per the needs identified of beneficiaries of IOM programmes;
- Prepare presentations and participate in trainings, seminars and meetings, and liaise with partner organizations, as required.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachellor’s degree in Legal Studies, International Relations or related field from an accredited academic institution with at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- High School degree with at least five years of relevant professional experience;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of Migration issues would be a distinct advantage;
- Previous work experience with EU donors would be a distinct advantage;
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage.
- Excellent working knowledge of both Bulgarian and English.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
1. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 18th of June, 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 9.06.2021 to 18.06.2021