Vacancy notice – Project Assistant (Protection)
Position Title: Project Assistant (Protection)
Duty Station: IOM Sofia, Bulgaria
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 5
Type of Appointment: 1 year fixed-term contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 14 May 2021 - (EXTENDED)
The International Organization for Migration is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all and it does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s National Project Officer and overall supervision of IOM Bulgaria’s Head of Mission, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing support in the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring of and reporting on project activities at national level in the fields of migrants’ protection and well-being, health and public information.
This includes but is not limited to the migrants’ protection and well-being sub-actions of AMIF projects, funded by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs and the Government of Bulgaria (GoB), as well as projects funded by the GoB.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only qualified candidates with suitable residence/ working permit in Bulgaria will be considered.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the National Project Officer, the incumbent will provide regular technical support to IOM Bulgaria staff and implement activities in the field of migrant protection and well-being, as well as support in the implementation of other relevant activities, including migration health.
- Coordinate the team of social workers deployed in the Safety Zone for unaccompanied asylum-seeking children (UASC) in RRC Sofia – Ovcha Kupel, including recruitment and training, provision of technical support, organization of team meetings, elaboration of monthly work schedule and other.
- Coordinate on a regular basis the work in the Safety Zone with the SAR RRC management, as well as with SAR HQ staff, and other Bulgarian institutions and organizations responsible for ensuring the protection of UASC.
- Communicate regularly with the security company recruited by IOM to provide 24/7 safety and security in the Safety Zone.
- Participate in trainings, seminars, and meetings, and liaise with partner organizations, as required.
- Participate in the development of new project proposals and in coordination with other IOM Bulgaria programmes, ensure compliance with donor requirements and IOM rules and procedures as well as their timely submission.
Undertake any other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High School Degree or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience on projects working with migrants and/or refugees, with experience in project implementation considered an advantage.
- University Degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience on projects working with migrants and/or refugees.
- Previous work experience in an international environment, with intergovernmental organizations or NGOs considered an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of EU policies, financial instruments, institutions and decision-making mechanisms.
Fluency in Bulgarian and English is required. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
1. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (Cover Letter and CV in European Format) in English, to email@example.com email address, quoting the vacancy notice by 26 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 16.04.2021 to 14.05.2021